Thursday, January 18, 2007

The Next RNC Chair

Dear Mr. Pelura,
First, let me congratulate you on your election to the chair of Maryland's GOP. I expect you are already planning big changes in the way the Party conducts itself. Big changes are needed, I think, if we are to forge a party that stands for something other than the letter 'R'.

Now, if there is a chance that state committees can still influence who ascends to the National Chair, I hope you do not fall into line (you know, the one leading over the cliff) and give your nod to Sen. Martinez.

I have nothing against the good Senator. But from what I have been reading, there are plenty of people who do; people who have only the best interests of the Party and the country at heart. They, like me, know that the Party's elected officials suffer from Removable Spine Syndrome (RSS) and cannot be counted on to vote in the interests of their constituents, their party or their country. Obviously there are a few members of the GOP who are immune to RSS and who would, if asked, permit the harvesting of a few billion adult stem cells for use in finding a cure.

I am not going to suggest an alternative. The list of better candidates includes all of the usual characters found in Saturday morning kids TV programming.

The wonderful Joyce Thomann, however, has definite ideas: "Ask Jim to let Joyce Terhes and Louis Pope know of your views. Jim Pelura is an honest and good man and will let them know of your support of Michael Steele and your opposition to Senator Martinez."

We could do worse. My pick, if he could be drafted, is still Pat Toomey, the Pennsylvanian who nearly beat Arlen Specter in the 2004 (?) Republican Primary. (Chuck, I think Michael Steele would be an excellent candidate to head the Club).

I look forward to answering your questions, and to save time, yes, I would accept a high-level appointment to MD GOP.

Yours,
Mike Netherland
Severna Park

No comments: